Commercial Truck Driving
Find Your WingsMCC’s Commercial Truck Driving Program is an eight-week course that prepares students to drive tractor trailers and other commercial vehicles. A combination of classroom and actual road driving that includes Department of Transportation rules and regulations, safety, proper shifting, log books, preparation of paperwork, map reading, and handling of cargo.
Students are able to utilize a state-of-the-art truck driving simulator that helps prepare them for the actual road driving experience.
Each student logs a minimum of 20 contact hours of driving time with various loads, road, and driving conditions. Students are required to pass the DOT Commercial Driver Written Examination and obtain a Commercial Driver’s License.
Progression: Minimum admission requirements (in addition to general admission requirements) must include one of the following:
- Attain a 14 composite score on the ACT;
- Score 40.0 or above on the ACCUPLACER Reading Section and a 32 or above on the Arithmetic Sections;
- Earn a “C” or above in Math for Occupational Education (CTE 1113);
- Complete 15 semester hours with a “C” average or above at an accredited college or university and earn a grade of “C” in Beginning Algebra (MAT 0123) and have a High School Diploma or GED.
In addition, applicants for the Commercial Truck Driving program are required to:
- Be at least 18 years old. Applicants 18 to 22 years of age are required to submit a written statement from a company, on letterhead, stating they will be hired upon completion of the Commercial Truck Driving program. According to the Mississippi Department of Public Safety, applicants under the age of 21 will be restricted to intrastate only;
- Pass Department of Transportation physical requirements, including a drug test; and
- Pass a criminal background check and driver’s history that is obtained and evaluated by Meridian Community College.
|FIRST YEAR | FIRST SEMESTER
|Course Number||Course Description||Hours|
|DTV 1116||Commercial Truck Driving I||6|
|DTV 1126||Commercial Truck Driving II||6|
|DTV 1137||Commercial Truck Driving Internship||7|
- Commercial Truck Driving
- $42,630 Salary Range upon completion
- $48,630 Salary Range after five-years