Commercial Truck Driving
Find Your Wings
MCC’s Commercial Truck Driving Program is an eight week program that prepares students to drive tractor trailers and other commercial vehicles. The program is a combination of classroom and actual road driving that includes Department of Transportation (DOT) rules and regulations, safety, proper shifting, log books, preparation of paperwork, map reading, and handling of cargo.
Students are able to utilize a state-of-the-art truck driving simulator that helps prepare them for the actual road driving experience. Each student logs a minimum of 20 hours of driving time with various loads, road, and driving conditions. Students are required to pass the DOT Commercial Driver Written Examination and obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
Progression: Minimum admission requirements (in addition to general admission requirements) must include one of the following:
- Attain a 14 composite score on the ACT;
- Score a 251 or higher on the ACCUPLACER NG Reading Section and a 230 or higher on the Accuplacer NG Algebra Section
- Earn a “C” or above in Math for Occupational Education (CTE 1113);
- Complete 15 semester hours with a “C” average or above at an accredited college or university and earn a grade of “C” in Beginning Algebra (MAT 0123) and have a High School Diploma or GED.
In addition, applicants for the Commercial Truck Driving program are required to:
- Be at least 18 years old. Applicants 18 to 22 years of age are required to submit a written statement from a company, on letterhead, stating they will be hired upon completion of the Commercial Truck Driving program. According to the Mississippi Department of Public Safety, applicants under the age of 21 will be restricted to intrastate only;
- Pass Department of Transportation physical requirements, including a drug test; and
- Pass a criminal background check and driver’s history that is obtained and evaluated by Meridian Community College.
|FIRST YEAR | FIRST SEMESTER
|Course Number||Course Description||Hours|
|DTV 1115||Commercial Truck Driving I||5|
|DTV 1125||Commercial Truck Driving II||5|
|*||DTV Elective(s) or other instructor approved elective(s)||6-7|
- DTV 1232 | Hours of Service
- DTV 1137 | Commercial Truck Driving Internship
- DTV 1313 | Hazardous Materials
- DTV 1323 | Professional Truck Driving
MCC’s Commercial Truck Driving program is a program that meets the education requirements for a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in MS.
Determinations about whether the Commercial Truck Driving program at MCC meets the state education requirements for US States, Territories, and the District of Columbia can be found at Professional Licensure & State Authorization Program Determination Disclosure.
- Short & Long Haul Over-the-Road Commercial Truck Driver
- Flatbed Truck Driver
- Freight Hauler
- Refrigerated Freight Drivers
- Commercial Truck Driving
- $45,540 (Bureau of Labor Statistics)
Jimmy Rigdon, Coordinator
Eric Griffin, Instructor