Meridian Community College is closely monitoring news and information related to the outbreak of the novel coronavirus, also known as COVID-19. To date, there have been no cases of COVID-19 reported in Mississippi. However, health officials worldwide recognize that this is a rapidly evolving situation and that the recommendations of the U. S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the U. S. State Department, and the Mississippi Department of Health (MSDH) are subject to frequent change.
MCC recognizes that prevention is a key strategy with any virus and we encourage everyone to take the following daily preventative actions as recommended by the CDC:
- Avoid close contact with sick people.
- While sick, limit contact with others as much as possible.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze. Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands; germs spread this way.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that may be contaminated with germs.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub with at least 60% alcohol.
The CDC is responding to an outbreak of respiratory illness caused by COVID-19. Cases have been identified in a growing number of other locations internationally, including the U.S. The link below will direct you to a map that represents cases detected and tested in the U.S. through U.S. public health surveillance systems since January 21, 2020. This includes both confirmed and presumptive positive cases reported to the CDC.
The following resources are available for COVID-19
- Mississippi State Department of Health- Coronavirus Summary
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - Coronavirus Summary
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - Coronavirus Fact Sheet
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - What the Public Should Do
- U.S. Department of State - China Travel Advisory
- CDC Travelers’ Health: Novel Coronavirus in China
- CDC Health Alert Network Advisory Update and Interim Guidance on Outbreak of 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- CDC Health Alert Network Advisory Update and Interim Guidance on Outbreak of 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Wuhan, China
- CDC Health Alert Network Advisory information for state and local health departments and health care providers
- CDC Information on Coronaviruses
- World Health Organization, Coronavirus