Meridian Public Safety Academy (MPSA)
The defensive tactics training program teaches Law Enforcement and Corrections basic defense mechanisms. In this 12-hour program participants will review handcuffing, takedowns, weapon retention, ground tactics, and the escape of chokes and headlocks. These courses have been approved for 12 hours of continuing education credit for law enforcement and correction officers by the Board on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Training. The class is limited to 16 participants. This class is strictly for those that are employed in the fields of law enforcement, corrections, and/or auxiliary/reserve. The auxiliary/reserve participants need to either be currently attending the auxiliary/reserve training or have completed the training.
Detention Officer Academy
Detention Officer Academy is required for every detention officer in the State of Mississippi and consists of 96 hours of training for Adult Detention and 24 hours for Juvenile Detention. Participants must be currently employed by a State detention facility.
Part-time and Refresher Law Enforcement Training curriculum includes but is not limited to:
- History of the Criminal Justice System
- Law Enforcement Officer Rights
- Police Image
- Crime and its Prevention
- Stop and Approach
- Basic Radio Communications
- Service of Process
- Cultural Awareness and Human Relations
- Handling the Mentally Ill
- Crime Scene and Forensic Services
- Basic Investigative Matters
- Use of Force & Incident Reporting Documentation
- Narcotics Investigation
- Rules of the Road
- DUI Law, Detection and Field Sobriety
- Accident Investigation
- Traffic Control and Roadblocks
- Basic Law for Law Enforcement Officers
- Arrest Mechanics
- Courtroom Procedures and Techniques
- Firearms Training
- First Aid and CPR
- Driver Training
21 years of age before certification or a person can be Law Enforcement Emancipated in order to attend. For an application, you can either print the forms below or pick them up from Meridian Community College MCC-Riley Workforce Development Center.
- MCC Application
- Part-time and Refresher packet
- BLEOST- Professional Certification Policy and Procedures Manual
*All application information must be submitted no less than two weeks prior to orientation.